5 Things you should know when renting a yacht in Playa del Carmen
The 5 things you should know when renting a yacht in Playa del Carmen to make your trip stress free, safe and fun. Take note of these recommendations to make sure your trip or vacation does not become sour.
1. Make sure the boat you are renting has license and permits to be operating in the area
As of November 2019, it is mandatory for all yachts and boat rentals to have their operating licenses and permits in Playa del Carmen. The marine coast is authorized to check boats and yachts in the area and come on board to make sure everything is in place. Also, any boat that does not have this in place will automatically get the passengers to be taken back to land on a different boat and end any tours that they are running.
2. Double-check the type of boat rental or boat tour package you are getting for the money you are paying.
Some people will promise you a different boat of what you are getting. So make sure it is clear what you will be getting for the price they are quoting. For example, in Cancun and Riviera Maya yacht rentals are a bit more confusing with all the different options available. But even though Playa del Carmen has fewer options, it still happens rarely that you will get a different boat that you were promised.
3. You can get a contract with the details of the boat you are hiring and the tour package.
You can get a contract from the company with details of the tour and/or boat hire in order to confirm that all details regarding this rental. It also gives you time to double-check dates, prices, inclusions and exclusions of your tour.
4. In playa del Carmen there are different snorkeling areas, note that you need a minimum of 4-5 hours boat rental to get to the closes snorkeling place.
There is a 3-hour boat rental minimum in each boat in Playa del Carmen. So, note that even if the company tells you that you will be doing snorkeling. There is no way to get there in 3 hours, especially with a sailboat or catamaran.
A motorboat takes 4 hours minimum to get to Ihna reef leaving from Puerto Aventuras to fully enjoy snorkeling with turtles and manta rays
Catamaran in Playa del Carmen leaving from Puerto Aventuras needs at least a 5-hour rental if it does not use engines.
5. Ask your company what you need to bring on board for the boat tour.
Usually, not all boat tours included everything as far as gear goes and other amenities.
- Snorkeling gear, making sure they have enough snorkeling gear for all of your guests might be an important thing for your tour.
- Towels – usually recommended bringing towels with you, since most boats do not offer them.
- For fishing boat rentals remember to check that you will be getting live bait. This is better when deep-sea fishing and some fishing charters in Playa del Carmen only bring plastic or rubber bait.
These 5 tips on a boat rental in Playa del Carmen will make for a safe, stress-free and fun tour. With them, you do not have to worry about anything else. So now you are ready to book your yachting experience.
Catamarans vs Motor Yachts
With different choices of catamarans and luxury yachts, a lot of the times is hard to choose between one or another. So let’s mention here the advantages of renting one over the other.
- A motor yacht is faster than a catamaran usually unless the catamaran also has engines. In Playa del Carmen some of the catamarans have to be hired a minimum of 5 hours in order to make it to the reef for good snorkeling. While the motor yachts and boats can do it in 4 hours and still enjoy the reef.
- Catamarans are usually a bit more expensive than the luxury yachts in Playa del Carmen. Even though they are as luxurious as a yacht and yet a bit less expensive to operate if the sails are used.
- Catamarans do have a lot more open external space to enjoy a day out under the sun. Usually with nets to lay on and cruise the Riviera Maya.
- Finally, a lot of catamarans are used for nonprivate tours as well in the area. So, for this reason, you need to book in advance if you are looking into sailing in one of these boats.
In an overall Catamarans in Playa del Carmen are able to perform and take you to the same tours as any luxury yacht. In fact, they do the same tours usually unless requested otherwise.